February 15, 2008

R.I.P. Piglet

One aspect of life in Itipini that is now routine to me is the pigs that are everywhere. Normally they run away from me and particularly my car when I am driving. But the other day while driving back to the clinic, one darted out in front of my car and I couldn’t swerve in time. I hit it with both the front and back wheels and when I looked in the rear-view mirror it was writing and squealing in agony, clearly on its way to death’s door. When I came back later, it was gone, obviously dispatched by some kind soul (or, more likely, someone who couldn’t handle the sound of the squealing).

Coming not a week after my first-ever speeding ticket, my first pig road kill is adding to a growing list of driving firsts. I’ll be happy not to add anymore any time soon.

0 comments: