June 9, 2009

Rhini

For the last two years, every few months or so I’ve headed down to Grahamstown (or Rhini in Xhosa) to visit my fellow YASC missionary, Matt. Matt and I arrived around the same time two years ago, he stayed on a second year, and is now, remarkably, staying for a third.

Here are Matt and I after church on Sunday morning.
He goes to church at the Mariya uMama weThemba monastery where he works after-school with these four boys.
Nomamiesi is the Xhosa woman who prepares the snack for the after-school program Matt works at. She also is raising several of the children in the program at a farm outside town. On every visit, Matt and I pay her a visit, drink LOTS of tea, practice our Xhosa, sing, and generally enjoy the benefits the surrogate motherhood.
On Sunday, I drove her and a few of her large brood to church.
I’ll miss Grahamstown.

0 comments: