November 2, 2008

A chance encounter

I’ve recently learned that my chance encounter with the Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church on 43rd Street in Manhattan resulted in a mention in a recent editorial of hers in Episcopal Life.

I had just left the subway on my way back to the office in New York when a young man stopped me on the sidewalk. His name is Jesse Zink, and he turned out to be a YASC volunteer, soon to be on his way back to South Africa. YASC, Young Adult Service Corps, sent him to Mthatha (em-ta'-ta), where, he told me, learning to "be" rather than "do" is the hardest part. He actually lives and works at the Itipini medical clinic with HIV-infected children, particularly in the after-school programs offered there. Read more about his being (and doing) at http://mthathamission.blogspot.com.
So if you’re here for the first time because of that article, welcome! And if silly photos from PhotoBooth aren’t to your fancy, check out this post, which summarizes what I do and links to some of the high- and low-lights of my time in Itipini and Mthatha.

Alert readers will know this is not the first time I've made my way into an editorial by the Presiding Bishop.

0 comments: