August 12, 2008

A few thousand words about church

I’ve written before about the Xhosa-language Anglican church I’ve been attending in Mthatha’s township for the last six months but it was only on Sunday that I brought my camera along. I didn’t get a lot of great shots but some of them illustrate a few points I made earlier.

The sanctuary before the service begins.

The processional - note the crucifier is on the far left of the picture, followed by six torch-bearers, a whole mess of other acolytes, then a bunch of lay ministers, before finally getting to the clergy, out of sight on the right of the picture.

The acolytes form a phalanx for the clergy and others to get to the altar first.

A few clergy (there are at least three others not in this picture), surrounded by acolytes. Think how many churches in the U.S. breathe a sigh of relief when just three acolytes show up. This church always has at least 20.

The wardens and vestrymen of the church I am made to sit among. Think how out of place a tall, white person not wearing a dark suit coat would look in this picture.

Some of the lay ministers take communion. Look at all of ‘em!

Archdeacon G.M Buso, the head guy.

I don’t think I’ve ever mentioned that one of the clergy looks like Ving Rhames and the deacon looks like Samuel L. Jackson. Consequently, I frequently find snatches of dialogue from the movie “Pulp Fiction” flitting through my brain during the service. None of them, of course, are appropriate for a family-friendly blog but I’m sure those of you familiar with the movie can see how amusing it would be to consider those two characters conducting an Anglican liturgy.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jesse,

As I am reading your 2008 Christmas blog, I am going to every link and finding it so interesting. At this point I will say to you Happy New Year! since it is January 1 in Tarrytown, New York, a sunny morning with a couple of inches of snow on the ground. I am feeling very grateful today.

Liliane Potier