May 28, 2008

New Book

The end is in sight for “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” and as I know there are teachers, authors, and avid readers among the audience for this blog, I thought I’d solicit some advice for its sequel.

I am looking for a new book to read with my high-school English class for the second half of the school year that begins after a winter break in late June and early July. Ideally, it would be something about the same level as “Charlie” and something that speaks to a group of young women, some mothers, living in poverty in South Africa. I think as a group we are collectively done with Roald Dahl, as his made-up words and word play just make things more complicated and generally unintelligible. Plus, there’s a wonderful diversity of books to read and I don’t want to limit us to just one author. And don’t suggest “Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator,” a natural sequel: it’s just too weird and I don’t like it.

I’m also tossing around the idea of beginning a similar reading group for a slightly younger group of students, say grades 8 and 9, and welcome ideas for books for that group. Something a little less challenging than “Charlie” would probably be best.

Send me your thoughts and suggestions by e-mail or leave them in the comments. If you’re interested in buying several copies of the books and sending them to me, be sure to let me know that as well!

4 comments:

löki gale said...

The Thirteen Clocks by James Thurber (a Tobin family favorite)

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Uncle Tom's Cabin - you could relate this to race issues in America & the current political race.

I will think of more :)

Anonymous said...

How about the Laura Ingalls Wilder books?

Heidi Haverkamp said...

Oh, I like the idea of Little House on the Prairie.

I think Uncle Tom's Cabin would be hard to understand -- and it's sort of long. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry was written for kids, and would be more appropriate, I think.

Or To Kill a Mockingbird? Or Fried Green Tomatoes?

löki gale said...

I think Little House on the Prairie is a great idea! We read those books in my 3rd grade class and I remember sitting on edge waiting for the next installment.

They are on the same lines at Anne of Green Gables too.

lgt