April 18, 2008

Hungry!

I hope that whatever news source you rely on has been informing you about the global rise in food prices and the consequent unrest and insecurity it is causing. Did you know world finance ministers the other weekend devoted an entire summit to the issue and South Africa’s finance minister is urging people to plant as much arable land as possible?

In Mthatha, we haven’t had any riots yet and I don’t think we’re on the verge of any but I have definitely noticed a modest rise in my grocery bill. It’s “modest” for me, of course, with my excess disposable income but I imagine people in Itipini might contest my adjective choice.

Anyway, there’s lots of well-written and –reported stories on this issue. This recent one from the New York Times caught my eye in my brief troll through world news while at the Internet cafĂ©.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a community garden in Itipini? If so, I would like to hear about it. If not, perhaps this would be a useful project to set up.