October 10, 2007

Library

I have always loved books; one of my first tasks upon arriving in Mthatha was to borrow and assemble as many as possible from diverse sources so I could have a full bookshelf. I intend to read all of them, of course, but sometimes it’s just nice to have a bunch of books around keeping watch over me.

Now, I’m trying to start a library in Itipini. Here’s what I’ve got to work with.

A donated box of books And a corner of our after-school program container, that with a little love I might be able to transform into something a bit more library-esque.
I’m hopeful that people will borrow and then return books (instead, of say, using them for firewood) and I’m hopeful I’ll be able to find books that children whose knowledge of English is very minimal will be able to enjoy.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think surrounding yourself with books is another Zink trait, cause I have it too! Lately I've been scouring Goodwill and other thrift stores for books with classic-looking bindings. When I get them home, though, I find that they are a pretty interesting read too!

I'd like to contribute to your library, so I'll be spending time in the kids sections, looking for beginner reader books.

Isn't it great how God can use us even while he's teaching us and expanding our horizons?! Thanks for sharing your life and God bless what you do.




Kelly