June 19, 2007

Poked

One of the things about moving overseas is that there are a ton of logistical matters to take care of, like making sure you have plane tickets, the right power adapters, the right shots, and so on and so forth. In fact, the list can get so long and overwhelming at times, it's easy to lose focus on what you're doing and why you're doing it and think only about what needs to happen for you to actually get where you're going.

It is in that spirit that I felt remarkably blessed yesterday when I called the Public Health Department in town to see about my vaccinations. They told me I should come right over (when has that ever happened with anything medical related?), we could look at the recommendations for South Africa, look at my record, and get me squared away.

So I went on over and had a great and re-assuring conversation about what I needed, got a few shots (I was mostly up-to-date), and was (relatively) quickly on my way. I still need a few more vaccinations, like yellow fever, that I don't need for South Africa and can't get in Nome but want to get anyway just to keep the option of traveling open.

0 comments: