March 6, 2009

Back to work on “The BFG”

A new school year is well underway and that means I’ve started again with my after-school English class. We’re reading Roald Dahl’s “The BFG.” In retrospect, it was a mistake to pick this book for several reasons - there are eight gazillion made-up words that are difficult for non-native speakers to grasp and the humour is really only relevant to English-language speakers. I spent too much time this week trying to explain the humour inherent in the chapter on “whizzpoppers” but didn’t make much progress.

We are plowing ahead nonetheless. Here are the pictures.
I wrote a while back how there were three new male high school students and how excited that made me. I’d be a lot more excited if they showed up to class. So far, they have missed virtually every session while all seven girls have made every single one.

Sigh...

0 comments: